Chideock – A selection of Buildings of Historic Interest within our Village
(Sources include: British Listed Buildings.co.uk A Wander through Chideock, 2nd Edition November 2002)
Warren House built in the 17th-18th century and next door Betchworth House – both displaying evidence of the “window tax”
The Clock House – Freehouse
St Giles Church (Grade I listed) – First mentioned in 1240 the present building (built in the 14th century) possibly stands on the site of an earlier Saxon church. It is believed to house the tomb of Sir John Arundell who died in 1545, and contains a 14th century font.
Humbers – Built around 1600 and occupied by John Humber (a tailor). Later residents include flax grower Gaius Udall; Miss Hopkins with her business “Siordet Elkhounds” and post World War II Miss Marjorie Mayne a collector of traditional tunes and dances.
Chideock House – believed to have been built in the 15th century. Headquarters of General Fairfax during the Civil War from where he took the castle for the last time before it was destroyed in 1645. Also where the Chideock Martyrs were tried before being taken to Dorchester for execution.
Bridge Cottage – Shop and tea garden in the 1950s
By The Stream and Staddlestones -
Chideock Court – with Chapel Cottage which was at one time a chapel
Appletree Cottage & Appletree Thatch –
Box Cottage – built late 18th century
Chimneys – built in 16th Century possibly one of the canon emplacements used by General Fairfax during the battle for Chideock Castle in 1645
Japonica Cottage – built in 16th-17th Century
Ivy Cottage – built late 18th century of Lias stone under a thatched wheatstraw roof
Lilac Cottage –
Ashford Cottage –
Sunnyside; May and Winniford Cottages – built 17th-18th centuries
The George Inn – open since 1685 and at one time offered stabling for the stage coaches travelling between London and Exeter
Laneside Cottage –
Park Farmhouse and Buildings –
Park Farm Cottages –
Gate Cottages –
Beech House – once the home of Miss Ada Reeve the music hall Artist.
The Farmers Arms – was a popular cider house until it was closed down in the 1920s, reputedly for rowdy behaviour
Swiss Cottage – An infants’ school until 1881
Roadstead Farm – Built in the 1600s at one time used by smugglers hiding contraband
Cob and Anvil Cottages – built around 1700 and are rare examples of cob walls